BUILDING STRENGTH THROUGH COLLABORATION
As a network of women based in the construction industry in the south west, we recognise the value of meeting, networking and sharing knowledge and experience.
Therefore as well as sharing information on-line, a key benefit of SWWIC membership is the opportunity to participate in a wide range of events and activities, which also often raise funds for our selected charities. These include:
- networking breakfasts (the most popular time of day to meet as requested by members to ensure you can get back to work on time!). These meetings are designed to provide an outlet for particular issues (we often bring in a specialist speaker on a requested topic, such as BIM) or enables members to share new ideas and initiatives through informal networking. These are a great way to welcome new members – you’ll be greeted by our New Members Co-Ordinator Cathryn who’ll introduce you to our friendly members.
- ‘behind the scenes’ site visits with exclusive access to innovative projects. We have been able to visit some amazing sites so far, from the renovations at Castle Drogo to digging in at the South Devon Link Road (our visits often get to see what the general public never will!). Plus thanks to our connections, we also regularly get to meet the Royal Marines and be invited to the House of Parliament!
- workshops and presentations on topical issues affecting the industry, from technical approaches to management and leadership development.
- our highly popular Ladies with Influence annual lunch (which usually brings all the members together to celebrate our fund-raising efforts for our nominated charities). A wonderful lunch is always followed by inspirational speakers who share their successes with us in a wonderful setting.
- of key importance to the majority of our members is our work to raise the awareness of careers in construction and opportunities available to women in this area, so we have developed an Ambassadors programme. Our Ambassadors attend externally hosted events to extol the career potential of being a woman in a STEM-related career.
A programme of SWWIC-hosted events is organised throughout the year to bring a range of diverse and interesting topics to members. Click here to view the current SWWIC Events Diary.
We are also happy to promote events and activities organised by other groups within the construction sector (click here to view the current externally hosted events listing), so if you have ideas for types of events and/or if your organisation would like to host or organise an event, contact us here with your ideas.